Did you know that “aioli” actually means “garlic oil” in French? For the traditionalist, one would never make aioli by just adding garlic to store-bought mayonnaise, but if that’s how you get fancy – we don’t judge. For those of you ready to step up your culinary game, a homemade CBD oil aioli will become the king of all your condiments and you’ll never look at store-bought mayonnaise the same. Enjoy as a dip for raw vegetables, shellfish, veggie burgers, french fries, and more.
CBD Aioli Recipe
Total yield = just over ½ cup, Serving size 1 tablespoon = 10mg CBD per serving
- 1 clove of garlic
- Pinch of salt
- 2 fresh egg yolks, at room temperature
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup lighter oil (hemp seed oil, regular olive oil, grapeseed oil, avocado oil, etc)
- Fresh lemon juice, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 80mg of NuLeaf Naturals full spectrum CBD oil = 32 drops of oil (approximately 1.5ml)
- Garlic press or mortar and pestle
- Metal, glass, or ceramic bowl (not plastic)
- Wire whisk
- Begin by creating a garlic paste by pressing the garlic clove with a garlic press, or my favorite way: using a mortar and pestle to mash the garlic with a pinch of salt to help break down the fibers. Transfer the garlic to your bowl and add the egg yolks. Click here for a helpful tutorial on separating egg yolks.
- Begin to whisk the egg yolks with the garlic until they start to thicken. Now, as opposed to regular aioli, instead of beginning to add the olive oil, use the CBD oil drop by drop slowly as you continue to whisk the egg and garlic blend. Once all 32 drops of CBD oil have been added, combine your other two oils and begin to add the oil blend by a ½ teaspoon at a time, while continuing to whisk. Prepare to build your whisking muscles on this one!
- Do not pour oil into the egg mix quickly or it will break and not thicken. If the mixture breaks, you will have to start over.
- Continue to add oil and whisk until the mixture is your desired consistency.
- Whisk in a splash of lemon, and salt to taste.
- Store in an airtight container for up to one week in the fridge.
Spice Up Your CBD Aioli with More Flavor
For either homemade or store-bought, feel free to spice up your final product with your favorite flavors. Some suggestions:
- Roasted Garlic Aioli: Use roasted Garlic instead of fresh for the base, and stir an additional minced clove to finished aioli
- Dill Aioli: 2 teaspoons of chopped fresh dill, stir into finished aioli
- Caper Aioli: 2 teaspoons of chopped capers, stir into finished aioli
- Herb Aioli: 2 teaspoons of fresh chopped herb, stir into finished aioli (parsley, tarragon, oregano, thyme, chervil, etc)
- Curry Mayo: 1 teaspoon of favorite curry paste or ¼ teaspoon of curry powder, stir into finished aioli
- Garlic and Chive Aioli: 1 teaspoon chopped chives and 1 minced clove garlic, stir into finished aioli
- Chipotle Aioli: ½ teaspoon chipotle powder, 1/8 teaspoon cumin, stir into finished aioli
- Rosemary Aioli: 1-2 springs fresh rosemary chopped, stir into finished aioli
- Mustard Aioli: 2 teaspoons of wholegrain mustard, stir into finished aioli
- Sundried Tomato Basil Aioli: 2 teaspoon chopped sundried tomatoes, 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil, stir into finished aioli
- Spicy Aioli: ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper, stir into finished aioli
- Wasabi Aioli: 1 teaspoon of wasabi paste, stir into finished aioli
No Time for CBD Aioli? Try CBD Mayo
Don’t have the time to whisk away? Whip up your own CBD mayo or CBD vegan mayo by stirring 32 drops (80mg) of NuLeaf Naturals CBD oil to a ½ cup of preferred store-bought mayo to achieve a similar sensational CBD condiment.